We’ve been invited to do a flash-mob style Lindy Bombing in John Lewis in Cheltenham for the Queen’s Jubilee weekend. It’s a great chance to dance somewhere unusual, and an excellent promotional opportunity.
It’s at 11:00 and 14:00 on Saturday 4 June. We’ll provide the music – you just have to dance. Dressing up encouraged, but not mandatory
Dowty Sports & Social Club, 20:00 – 23:00. For something a bit different, we are going for a ‘Swing Mic Night’ and have approached two artists who know how to sing with a swing. There will be some DJ sets and some live swinging vocals.
£6.50 cash or card on the door – we’d love to see you there!
After the social dance on 8 July, we have some great workshops for you during the day on Saturday 9 July. There’ll be some fun Lindy in the morning, time for a picnic lunch (please bring your own lunch!), and a class on the Quickstep, for dancers who can already swing dance, in the afternoon. You can pick and choose from the available workshops and do the bits you fancy! It’s shaping up like this:
- Guest teacher: Su Gorrie, Fun Lindy Hop workshop 10:00 – 13:30 (3 hours teaching plus 30 mins breaks). You need to be able to social dance to a whole song in Lindy Hop. If you can do this – come and have some fun!
- Picnic in the sunshine (we hope). We are asking dancers to bring their own food.
- Quickstep workshop – 14:30-16:30 (with time for a 15 mins break). You need to understand the idea of lead/follow. You do not need any quickstep experience.
Book the date in now! Ticket sales will open soon. Su’s Lindy class only: £15 per person. Quickstep only: £10 per person. If you buy both classes you will be given free entry to the social dance on the 8 July.
There will be a sign up sheet to balance numbers.
Dowty are organising a charity event, and as part of that will have some swing music playing, and we’ll be dancing. More details as we get them, but as ever – save the date!
JENNY THOMAS IS COMING TO TOWN (again!)
BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing & UK’s leading Charleston & Lindy Hop Choreographer, Jenny Thomas, is coming back to Cheltenham to teach a Lindy Hop workshop.
Saturday 10 September 2022, Dowty Sports and Social Club. Limited tickets.
TICKET RELEASED SOON
With more than 33 years’ professional dance experience, Jenny has worked in almost every genre of dance. From Classical Ballet, Tap and Musical Theatre. To now being one of the world’s top choreographers in Swing, Lindy Hop, Charleston and Authentic Jazz Dances from 1920s to 1950s. Whether an improver or advanced dancer, we know from first-hand experience that Jenny will bring something for you and we’ll have a lot of fun learning with her.
Future 2022 Dowty Dances:
30 September 2022
28 October 2022 – Hallowe’en!
23 December 2022 – Christmas!
Other aims for 2022 – we promised to try to arrange:
- More socials. Maybe at Dowty, maybe somewhere in town, maybe a band.
- Guest teachers. Hopefully three weekend events, or so, over the year. Great teachers brought to us, so we don’t have to go to them.
- Lindy bombing. For instance, finding somewhere we dance in town, just for fun
- Frankie’s Shim Sham. One that everyone in our scene can learn and join in with when the music starts.
- The Big Apple workshop. That is the routine from Keep Punching. We’d love to have dancers on our scene that are confident to dance this when the music comes on (we’re thinking over a weekend 3 hours each day).